Wednesday, June 13, 2018

The First Beach

In a small book called 'Baby's Days' is this picture, the first photo of me. It contains just three others and some records, like my weight over the first four months and the date when I cut my first tooth. The photo was taken some three months after I was born and the little book illustrates how relatively unimportant photos were in those days. How the world has changed!

The rest of our early photos are in a single album and, once the small baby pictures are done with, a disproportionate number of those that follow....

....show my brother and I on Dar-es-Salaam's beaches. This one is the first.

While my father wasn't keen on beaches, my mother loved them and would spend as much time on them as possible. Little wonder that my brother and I grew up loving beaches, and little wonder that I have always thought that beaches are very, very special places.

No comments:

Post a Comment