Saturday, July 14, 2018

Mombasa 1963

I hitch-hiked successfully from Marandellas in Southern Rhodesia to Dodoma in Tanganyika, where Michael Atkinson and I parted for him to go to Dar-es-Salaam, but when I reached Arusha I decided that, since some of the next section of the journey was through Tsavo National Park, it might be prudent to catch a bus.

I had arranged to stay with the Chethams, old Mombasa friends, but when I arrived at the bus station in Mombasa I had no idea where they lived. Fortunately, as I wandered the streets, I bumped into Jill Sandifer and her mother, and they took me out to the Chethams' house, which was close to the beach at Nyali.

I think I stayed about ten days, and they were wonderful days. As well as Jill Sandifer, Lynn and Felicity Champion were still there and the Chetham boys, Tony, David and Johnny, had many new friends, including Jill, Di and Richard Thurstan, and Pete and Lou Dickie. Pictured from left to right are me, David Chetham, Tony Chetham, Jean Chetham, Jill Thurstan and her brother Richard, enjoying tea on the Chetham's veranda at Nyali.

We spent hours on Nyali beach where the Chethams had a sailing boat and a sand yacht. Tony had the use of an old Ford Popular so we could get in to Mombasa. There were parties, and barbecues on the beach. Jean and Mike Chetham's hospitality was warm and generous.

Mombasa had changed little since I had left in 1961.  Life seemed utterly idyllic - picture shows Rocky (left) and Di Hughes, and Jill Thurstan (right). I have often wondered since why I didn't stay and find a job but perhaps I was deterred by the uncertainty of Kenya's independence in the upcoming December, by the fact that I had a passage booked back to England and a place at university; and there was nothing to say that the new Kenya government would have allowed me to stay.

All photos courtesy Tony Chetham, with my thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment