Sunday, November 20, 2022

Waxwings

Identifying small birds against a bright sky can be a problem so when, on our way up the hill towards Golspie Tower this morning, we saw a mass of small birds both on the power cables and in some of the bushes up the side of the road, I wasn't too excited though....

....when I returned home and began to go through the pictures I had bothered to take, I was very pleased to see that some of them were goldfinches, a species which still refuses to visit our garden even though there is a feeder stuffed full of nijer waiting for them.

However, this picture was even more interesting. The crests on these two birds had suggested they were chaffinches but they're far more exciting, as they are....

....waxwings. There must have been half-a-dozen or so of them, and I only took three pictures.... Oh dear! I have only once before seen a waxwing in Britain.

No comments:

Post a Comment