Sunday, September 29, 2019

Helen's Returns to Zanzibar

After she had returned to England in 1961 my mother was continually drawn back to Zanzibar. Her first return was in 1970, after she and my father had travelled out to visit us at Bernard Mizeki College in what was then Mr Ian Smith's Rhodesia.

She returned again in 1975 when she travelled to the island in the company of her old friend from her Zanzibar days, Bunch Jones (by then Bunch Crook), a difficult and somewhat depressing visit described in an earlier post here. By this time the building in which they had both had flats, Paradise Mansions, had been demolished so all they could do was take photographs of the site (above).

I had completely forgotten that my mother returned one final time to East Africa in 1994, some years after my father's death in 1988. I only 'rediscovered' this when, in going through the file which contains much of her paperwork, I found these sheets of typed paper sandwiched between two other documents.




No comments:

Post a Comment