Thursday, October 3, 2019

Fungi

I have always envied people who are an expert in a narrow area of knowledge. My only chance of achieving this was when, at the end of my degree course at the University of Keele in 1967, I was offered a one year MSc in the Geology Department. Had I accepted it I might now be an expert in Namurian goniatites.

This thought returned in our recent visit to Sutherland when, in an area of heathland near Littleferry, we came across some very fine fungi. I'm sure an expert would have taken one look and identified them while, despite some time spent on Duck Duck Go - I avoid using Google - I gave up in despair, though I think they may be a variety of puffball.

This one may be the blackening waxcap, Hygrocybe conica. They start off a pale reddy-yellow in colour but age into black, yet we saw only black ones, unless....

....this much larger toadstool nestling amongst the ling is the younger version.

The sense of frustration continued when we were walking in the damp woodlands above the town of Golspie. This little mass of fungi was growing on decaying wood but I haven't much hope of identifying it as there are a plethora of white fungi growing on rotten logs.

On our way home we stopped at Blyth services on the A1(M) and, as we do if it's possible, took a stroll around the site - to find these very elegant fungi growing in one corner of the mown grass. They, at least, I have been able to identify - they're Coprinus comatus, otherwise known as the shaggy inkcap.

No comments:

Post a Comment