Monday, January 13, 2020

Tain Scalps

The latest visit to Lidl in Tain gave me another opportunity to walk along the southern shore of the Dornoch Firth. Last time the tide was low and a long way out across the mudflats but today it was rising, pushing....

....the ducks and waders much closer to the shore and just about within the range of my camera. This view looks across what are called Tain Scalps - a scalp is a shellfish bank - to the Glenmorangie whisky distillery.

Most of the ducks were wigeon, along with some mallard, and the waders included oystercatchers and curlews, but a passer-by wearing a very expensive-looking pair of binoculars told me that I had missed a large flock of teal by a couple of days and that I should also be able to see smaller numbers of shelduck.

No comments:

Post a Comment