Friday, November 19, 2021

Small Bird Update

We had a very welcome visit the other day from a gang of long-tailed tits, a cheerful twittering mob. There must have been ten or more of them, and they were trying to get on to the feeders in the front garden in the rapidly-gathering dark: as a result, several flew into the window panes, fortunately with no ill-effects.

Almost as soon as I wrote the other day that we were rather short of great tits, a pair appeared and have since been fairly regular visitors. Another welcome returner has been....

....a pair of collared doves, one of which managed to find its way into the cage that protects the small birds' grain. I had fears that it wouldn't be able to get out again and that I would have to go and release it - probably minus some feathers - but it proved me wrong.

We have yet another bird feeder, a small table made of a tall vase I found in the charity shop. It too has a wire cover, part of a hanging basket. Unusually, it was a robin that found the seed first, followed by a blue tit and a house sparrow.

This protecting the bird's seed with wire cages is all the more necessary as....

....after being absent for some time, the jackdaws are very much in evidence in the garden and very busy probing all my defences, so far, I'm pleased to report, with little success.

No comments:

Post a Comment