Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Privileged

I feel very privileged to live in a place where I can walk out of my front door, as I did this morning, and, within a couple of minutes, be watching....

....a wild animal such as this roe buck in the Upper Rabbit Field next to our house. 

In some ways he isn't really 'wild' in that he lives here for his commercial value to the owners of the fields as sportsmen will pay for the privilege of shooting him; and he isn't really 'wild' because he is quite accustomed to people like me being fairly close; and he knows how to deal with the dogs which accompany the humans.

I had the feeling that he wasn't worried by me standing fifty metres away watching him; he was more irritated that I disturbed him. So, after he'd stared at me for some time he....

....turned away and stalked off along the edge of the field before disappearing into the undergrowth.

No comments:

Post a Comment