Thursday, October 8, 2026

Late-Season Butterflies - and a Moth

We've been basking in the sort of weather which is usually associated with high summer - so, well into October, we've been sitting out on the terrace and walking in to the village in bright sunshine.

Celebrating with us have been a few late butterflies, a couple of red admirals and.... 

....these two beautiful painted ladies, the one on the right demonstrating the intricate patterns on the underwing which are so rarely visible.

Unfortunately, we've also had a couple of whites in the garden. I know that one of them was a large white because of the caterpillars I found, but some of the caterpillars were much smaller and uniformly green, showing that we have also been visited by a small white or two. Needless to say, all the caterpillars were on my precious broccoli.

Then, this morning, we had a visit from this day-flying moth, a silver Y, the first I've seen this year, which spent quite some time in the garden enjoying the many verbena flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment