Saturday, June 23, 2018

Fatuma

My mother continued to work for the Tanganyika government in Dar-es-Salaam as she was a first class shorthand-typist. My parents therefore employed an ayah to look after Richard and I. Her name was Fatuma, and shortly after I was born she joined the existing staff at the Upanga Road bungalow, a cook and what was called a 'house boy'.

This picture was taken in front of the bungalow, probably in 1948. The front drive circled a large mango tree, and Fatuma and the other ayahs used to sit under the tree while the children played around them. The bungalow was raised on concrete stilts, and I can remember playing in the dark area underneath it.

Ayahs had many uses. This is my third birthday. My mother is holding Richard, I am to the right of them, and Fatuma is helping. I rather assume that all the other parents had left their children in their charge.

Fatuma was a lovely lady, a cheerful soul with infinite patience. I remember a truck full of workmen passing us on the road near the house and calling out to us. Fatuma was laughing but said they were admiring my red tricycle. I'm quite sure they were admiring Fatuma.

Most of the European families seemed to have ayahs, and they lurked on the edge of proceedings ready to leap forward when needed. This is the Crole Rees' birthday party on the beach. I am at right, separate from the other children. There are several later photos of me slightly to one side of everyone. At that stage I don't think I wanted to be antisocial, I just felt.... shy.

No comments:

Post a Comment