Monday, September 17, 2018

Pole Pole

This beer mug was my father's, another thing which my mother, and then I, kept through all the moves we have made. It's a little battered: some of the glazing is crazed, and the handle broke off and was stuck back on. Since having an unreliable handle on a full mug of beer isn't a good idea, it hasn't been used for drinking purposes for many years.

'Pole Pole' is appropriate wisdom for the side of a beer mug. It's KiSwahili, and it means 'slowly' - hence the tortoise. It's how good beer should be drunk.

On the bottom of the mug it says that it was made by Gray's Pottery in Stoke-on-Trent, in the English Potteries area, but was designed by Peter Medway in Nairobi. However, the manufacturer's stamp is overprinted in green. This is difficult to read, which is a pity as a search of the Gray's Pottery website - here - makes no mention of this mug or of Peter Medway.

I know it's at least sixty-five years old as I can remember an 'April Fool' which my brother and I played on my father when we lived in the second house in Cliff Avenue, which must have been before I left for school in England in 1954. We filled the beer with sud-filled water and presented it to him when he came home for lunch, hot, tired and thirsty. Unfortunately, the 'April Fool' worked too well and he was consequently furious.

No comments:

Post a Comment