Monday, February 18, 2019

Maldon 1986

This picture, another of those ones under the heading 'Off to School', was taken in the back garden looking through the hall to the front door.

Katy's Plume uniform hides a small battle which I fought and won at the school. Look back to the picture of her in 1985 and she's in a blazer. Blazers were expensive and, because many were bought second-hand or hand-me-downs from an older sibling, were often pretty tatty and ill-fitting. Other parents bought a cheap navy blazer and had a badge sewn on, which also looked tatty. I was keen to change to a sweater with integral badge, which was cheaper, washable and generally popular. with both parents and students The only problem was that some parents, instead of buying them from the shop in town which stocked the 'official' version, bought a dark blue sweater and sewed an old badge on to it. You can never win.

I wish I could remember the occasion but perms seemed to be the 'in' thing with young ladies in 1986. This picture was taken in my parents' sitting room in Fambridge Road and features Lizzie next to one of my mother's rubber plants. It's an interesting picture because Lizzie must have been very much the age her daughter, Florence, is now, and they look remarkably alike.

I have no memory whatsoever of David's bike, nor do I recall him going anywhere on it. No matter - it was a very smart bike.

We think this is Lizzie off to Paris to stay with her exchange, Laurence - but we're not sure. I like the picture because everyone is laughing, for the girls' fashion statement, and for David's badges and knobbly knees.

No comments:

Post a Comment