Wednesday, October 27, 2021

The Memory of Photographs


These days, most of us have hundreds if not thousands of photographs on our 'devices', and the vast majority of these pictures are rarely if ever looked at. I am fortunate that I now have the time and the inclination to browse back through mine and enjoy the sudden sense of being back in the moment they were taken.

This picture has a special place in those memories. It was taken from the Radisson hotel where we were staying, looking out across the Toronto waterfront to the islands in Lake Ontario. We had just arrived by 'plane from Glasgow, we had Rachael with us, and we were at the start of the first of many visits we would make to Canada. I recall the sense of intense anticipation, in the short term of enjoying exploring what we discovered was a lovely city and taking a trip to Niagara Falls but in the longer term because we were going to take a train, the Canadian, to Edmonton and then drive across the Rockies to Seattle, from where we would fly home - and all of this was strange and new and immensely exciting.

What I love so much about it - and many others of the pictures I look at - is that I can FEEL the sensation of being there, not just the sights and sounds but also the touch of a warm autumn sun and a light breeze on my face. I can't help it but I so wish I could transport myself back to that moment and relive the adventures and events that unfolded over the following few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment