Thursday, February 16, 2023

Birds on a Beach

Dead calm today, hardly a breath of breeze to mar the polished mirror of the sea, and mid-tide on a falling tide, both perfect for the waders that frequent the beach which is five minutes from our front door. I am so fortunate for, without moving from the spot on the coast path where this picture was taken, I was able to photograph....

....one of three oystercatchers, the first redshank I've seen for some time....

....a curlew, the only bird which seemed at all bothered by my proximity....

....a black-headed gull in its winter plumage and, on the rocks to my left,.... 

....a juvenile cormorant stretching its wings to dry them.

I say they seem unbothered by me but, when I started to think about it, it wasn't just me. While I was taking these picture three people, all with dogs, came by. I don't think one of them noticed the birds. So perhaps the birds now know this, that if they stay still, the danger will pass; and, if they have the rare misfortune to encounter an unusually energetic dog, only then do they need to fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment