When I was a secondary schoolmaster I always considered myself a generalist rather than a subject 'expert', so I was particularly useful to the unfortunate colleague who had to construct the annual school timetable, when he/she found they needed someone to teach a class of, say, history, but didn't have a history specialist to take it. So, over my thirty years in the profession, I took classes of geography, geology, history, English, religious education, personal and social education, information technology, French, maths, general science, and, just the once, thank goodness, girls' netball. Of these I was qualified in only one: geology.
I enjoyed learning in new subject areas, and felt that it was not altogether a bad thing that I approached a subject from the same ignorant view as most of my pupils.
Despite this, I have always had a niggling desire to have been THE world expert on something. I might have become just that when, on leaving university in 1967, I was offered an MSc, the area of research being the Namurian goniatites of the Derbyshire/Staffordshire Peak District, goniatites being a slightly obscure, ancient and long-extinct relative of the ammonites.Had I been able to take history at university - I wasn't, because I didn't even have an 'O'-level in the subject - my research would have been into the development and spread of the lateen sail, seen here on an ngalawa off the Tanzanian coast. I suppose the reason for this interest lay in the fact that I had seen lateen sails through my early life in Tanganyika and Kenya, and because........a lateen sail, seen here on an Omani dhow, has always seemed to me to be exceptionally beautiful.Photos of goniatite and tourmalines courtesy Wikipedia.
Having been a previous student of yours and having studyied/worked in geology for the past 40 years I think you would enjoy a visit to the Naturhistorisches Museum Wien as I recently have. Assuming of course that you have not already visited. The mineral galleries are exceptional, complemented by the geologically inspired art works in the galleries above. Allow a full day. The rest of Vienna is history.
ReplyDeleteMany thanks for the comment, ex-student of mine. Good to hear from you.
ReplyDeleteI haven't been to the Natural History Museum in years but it used to be my go-to place if I had time to spare in London. I remember the mineral displays as being breathtaking, even in the days when the specimens were dumped in a display cabinet with small pieces of card saying what they were. I'd love to go again... but it's a bit of a long way from NE Scotland.
Jon