Monday, August 31, 2026

Swallows and Martins

When I walked up the hill past the upper rabbit field yesterday evening there was just one swallow quartering the ground but this had risen to....

....six when I passed this morning. They seemed to enjoy zooming around the small flock of hoodies but concentrated their feeding efforts on the cows, which were visibly being pestered by insects.

They were feeding but they were also gathering ready for the long journey south. In the absence of the telegraph wires which used to be favoured places most were....

....gathering along the rooftops - this looks like a young swallow - but.in some places there were twenty or more around....

....a gable end which had been used as a nest site by the house martins. But look closely, for there are both swallows and martins in this picture, and I have often wondered whether, when they set off for Africa, the two species travel together.

No comments:

Post a Comment