When we first came to live in Golspie it was still possible to see herds of red deer on the ridge above the track which leads to Loch Lunndhaid, and very occasionally some of these came down onto the track itself, but this area has now been fenced off, the deer culled, and trees planted.Imagine my surprise, as I walked up the track towards Loch Lunndhaid yesterday evening, when a fully grown red deer stag ran down the road from the right, crossed in front of me, and leaped into the undergrowth to the left.
It all happened so quickly that there was no chance of a photo, but I was left standing, filled with feelings of shock and wonder and, yes, controlled fear, emotions that I haven't felt in a long time - that something so big, so wild and so majestic had been so close.
Much as I would love it to happen, this isn't the sort of event that is likely to repeat itself here in Golspie, though I am quite sure that anyone who wants such a thrill can still find it by wandering the hills of Ardnamurchan.
No comments:
Post a Comment