Sunday, September 6, 2026

Return to Littleferry

We are temporarily dependent on other people to take us to Littleferry so today was the first time we'd been there since selling our car. Our scooter has the range to get there and back but we'd need two if we're to go together. Not that it was a particularly friendly return - it rained heavily for a few minutes when we first arrived before clearing as we walked along the beach, watched by....

....two grey seals swimming against a strong outgoing tide.

All along the shoreline birds were sitting, mostly sandwich terns and oystercatchers, preening themselves, the terns readying themselves for their long flight south.

Leaving the sandy beach we crossed the cobbles of the storm beach where this plant was growing. It never ceases to amaze me how such a plant survives on what appears to be a diet of bare stones. It may be sea sandwort, a succulent, one which we haven'r found on this beach before.

We returned to the car along the links where the ling is in full flower. The main difference we noted was how few of the flowers we'd seen here on our last visit were still in bloom - Scottish bluebell and ragwort being the dominant flowers today.

It was good to be back, but how I wish that summer's flowers were beginning again instead of fading before our eyes.

2 comments:

  1. Good evening Mr H. Hugo here after a few years gap. I check in quite often, but never seem to get around to commenting. When I read that you had sold your car and in essence given up driving, I was a little shocked, especially considering where you live. Anyway, I read a little further to understand your reasons, and must say, great respect for your decision. I am 72 next month, so not too far behind you, but just love driving. You might remember back in Ludlow, I had a 1960 Rover 100, well now, I have a bit of a collection from 1922 to 2004, with a Transit van for work. I got married 2 years ago ( yes, it took me 69 years to make my mind up), and we love going out for weekends away, travelling long distances in the favourite vehicle, our 1946 Rover 16SS. Obviously new cars are very competent, but driving and arriving in style is so much more satisfying. Vintage leather and a wooden dashboard is very homely. You might already know, but, vehicles over 40 years old are tax, MOT and ULEZ free, so the Rover is our go to car for trips into London. OK, I am probably boring you now, so will sign off. However, very glad that you and your good lady are still with us and in good health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hugo - Good to hear from you and to have all your news. Like you, I used to love driving, less for the cars than for the places I could go to, though I'm very envious of some of the cars you have and have had. We had a wonderful Rover 90 in our last days in East Arica when I was a teenager, a great car but painted black, which made it a hot car to sit in. So giving up the car hasn't been difficult except that we can't get to places as easily - though I'm enjoying driving down to the village on our mobility scooter! Jon

      Delete