Monday, May 20, 2019

Portraits

It is rarely that one is asked to sit for a portrait but this happened twice in the years I was at The Plume. On the first occasion, an artist who was visiting the school's art department - I think from Spain or Portugal - asked if I would sit for him and from the session he produced this picture.

I suppose it's only natural that a subject will like a portrait if it flatters, but I like this picture immensely because it doesn't flatter - look at my teeth! - and because I think it's a very honest picture.

I wish I could remember the name of the photographer was but I do know that....

....it was Bernard Kerr who produced this cartoon of me. Again, I love it, for the contours that show I was a geography teacher, for the look of slightly tired resignation, and for the tie, for one of the things I most enjoyed was turning up at school in bright, interesting ties.

This isn't exactly a portrait but it does illustrate the advantages of working in schools where there is a good art department. This cartoon was by colleague Kevin Flower and reminds me that I was, for a time, in charge of a staff syndicate which bought tickets in the National Lottery, all of us hoping that we would have a huge win and be able to give up teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment