Thursday, August 29, 2019

A Present from 'Grannie'

I suppose this book might have been a little more distinctive when it had its dust cover - long lost - but the embossed crest may give a clue as to the gravity of what lies between its covers.

It's a complete works of Shakespeare, printed on very thin paper and, despite its age, it has never been opened for the purpose of reading any of the bard's work.

It was given to me by my 'Grannie', who seemed to acknowledge that she hardly knew me, nor I her, by adding her name, Caroline Wilson nee Humphries. Up to that point I had only met her occasionally, when the family travelled to England on leave, and all I remember of her is a very fierce lady who had little time for small boys.

The date indicates that Granny Wilson gave it to me on the first of many Christmases I spent in England away from East Africa, away from my family. I can't be certain but I probably spent it with my Aunt Noel and my cousins Carolyn, Michael, Emily and 'Bibby'.

What interests me are the entries I made which surround Granny's writing. When I was given the book I was a boarder at Glengorse School but spent my holidays with my Uncle Frank, my father's older brother, and Aunt Grace at their flat in Rivermead Court, Fulham. Later I went to Bradfield College in Berkshire, where I was a member of 'D' House. After that, I seemed to have lost interest in ensuring that the book would be returned to me.

The book is a reminder of some very unhappy years of my life. I'm surprised that I have kept it.

No comments:

Post a Comment