Thursday, May 28, 2020

Wildflower Update

I'm doing my best to educate myself on the huge variety of wildflowers in the area, this variety being encouraged by the many different environments through which we walk. As I think I have successfully identified a flower, something which has been greatly helped by the gift of a super book of wildflower photos by our old friends the Hizzards, I add it to the Wildflower page - there's a permanent link in the right-hand column of this blog.

This is blaeberry in flower on the open hillside just below the Beinn Bhraggie summit, while....

....this is water avens, a few of which are growing in the damp soils along the Golspie Glen.


Some of the colours in these flowers are breathtaking. This beauty is purple milk vetch, found in the grassy verges and, in some numbers, along the links between Golspie and Littleferry. Its colours vary, from this blue end of the purple spectrum to a much more pink version.

This single specimen was found along the track rising from Golspie Tower into the Beinn Bhraggie forestry. I have no idea what it is, despite considerable efforts to identify it both in my new book and on the internet, which irritates me as it is very pretty - an irritation aggravated by my failure to find it again, despite two searches. Perhaps its a cultivated flower which has escaped from a garden. Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment