Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Storm Chasing

I have only been storm chasing once and that was in 2016, in Edmonton, Canada, with our son, on a hot, muggy evening after we'd been out for a meal. Armed with our cameras, we walked down to the North Saskatchewan river and, from a vantage point, watched as the centre of a storm gathered over downtown and....

....steadily moved round to the south of us before intensifying over the Strathcona oil refinery to our southeast; miraculously, it didn't rain on us. By this time the lightning flashes were almost continuous but, having no special equipment, all I could do was fix the exposure, speed and focus, steady the camera as best I could, and fire off as many 'bursts' of pictures as possible - I know, from the picture numbers, that I took at least 120.

I was finally rewarded with this picture in which, unfortunately, since I didn't have a tripod, objects on the ground are slightly blurred, but a few minutes later I caught....

....this lightning strike.

No comments:

Post a Comment