Monday, November 2, 2020

Lizzie and Arthur's Table


This coffee table has always been a part of the furniture which has followed us around in our travels but it is marred by the black stain, the reason for which I had completely forgotten, though Mrs MW hadn't.

The table is one of several items we bought from our good friend, the priest Arthur Collishaw, when he was leaving Rhodesia to return to Ghana in 1968 - story here. I had as much forgotten that it came from him as I had how it got its black mark. Apparently, Gill used to have the table at her bedside in Howard Road, Bristol, to keep a flask of hot water to warm baby Elizabeth's bottle during the night. One night, somehow, the hot water overflowed.

I love this table more now that I have its story again. It reminds me of Arthur and the good times we had with him, it reminds me of Elizabeth as a tiny baby in a very damp flat, and it's a very useful table.

No comments:

Post a Comment