Tuesday, May 10, 2022

African Violets


There was a time when I had a tabletop covered in different African violets but now I'm down to just three, a grandmother, daughter and grand-daughter all the same colour. The grandmother came up with us from Suffolk three years ago, so is very well-travelled.

I love African violets more than any other house plant - though I do have a soft spot for spider plants - probably for no other reasons than that they are very forgiving of neglect, are easy to propagate and are.... African.... originally, for they come from the cloud-forests of Tanzania and Kenya.

My neglect of them is embarrassing. Until the other day I had it in my head that they didn't need repotting or fertilising which, having finally looked up "care of African violets" on the internet the other day, I now know to be quite wrong.

Despite this, the three in the kitchen flowered sturdily through the winter, giving us a welcome splash of colour on cold, grey days, but then took a rest a couple of months ago. Now they're coming back into flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment