Thursday, May 19, 2022

Chalvedon School

I receive few comments on this blog - which is fine - but most of those I have received over the years relate to my time at Chalvedon School in Pitsea, Basildon. They are from students who were there during the late 1970s and early 1980s, around the time I taught there, but a few are from teachers some of whom, like me, found the early part of their time at the school very tough.

I had taken the job at Chalvedon out of desperation, having spent the previous two years in Jamaica and having to find work when I returned to the UK to support a family. Chalvedon was so desperate for teachers at the time - 1975 - that the then head, Bob Ford, appointed me without an interview but on a temporary basis.

By the end of the first year I was equally desperate to get out, and applied for jobs all over the country, even travelling to South Wales for an interview. Having failed to move, and having made the decision to buy a house within commuting distance of the school, I gritted my teeth and went back in the new academic year determined to survive.

I did more: I spent four more years there, very happily. Most of the hard work had, in fact, been done in that first year. For example, I had learned how to deal with children who often came from very disadvantaged homes but who, underneath their anger, were great fun. So by the time I came to leave - very reluctantly and because I needed promotion within the teaching system to support a growing family and to create some sort of career for myself - I was desperately sad to say goodbye. In particular, I had come to have great affection for my form, pictured above.

I often wonder what happened to the many thousands of students I taught in nearly thirty years in the classroom. A few kept in touch for a time, so I know a little about their lives, but I never made any effort - for example by using Facebook - to actively find out about some of the others whom I found particularly interesting. All I can do now is hope that they are happy and have done well in life.

10 comments:

  1. What's wrong with South Wales?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Facebook was useful for me. My primary school had an "old pupils" forum and for a few years now I've met 8 or 10 classmates for breakfast each month, (bar covid months). Mind you they look totally different to the kids I was at school with over 65 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing's wrong with South Wales - we have some good friends living there. The 'even travelling' was in the sense that it was a very long way.
    Good to hear from you, Peter, and, yes, we do rather change with the years. I went to a meeting of pupils from my primary school, the Mombasa European Primary, and I would hardly have recognised any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jon, I came across your blog website some time back. I was one of your students. Mr Vincent taught me geology, Mark Gill, geography , then you when Mark left. I left Chalvedon in 1976 with 2 A levels and went onto Kingston Poly (Uni) to study Earth Sciences. I graduated in 1980 and entered into the oil and gas industry. Here I stayed for 40yrs and are now retired in 2019 as a Geology Advisor for Schlumberger. You can see my profile on LinkedIn under Graham Milne. Feel free to contact me via LinkedIn. I wish you good health and thank you and the Chalvedon staff who showed me and encouraged me to pursue a career in geology. Over 40 yrs I have visited and or worked in 63 countries. It’s been great. Not bad for a kid from a rough Essex comprehensive bought up on a council estate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Graham - So good to hear from you and to know that you've done so well for yourself. Apologies that it took me time to post your comment but I have to moderate them. I'm sad that I'm not in touch with Brian Vincent and Mark Gill as kind words such as yours are fairly rare in a teacher's life. I'm afraid I don't work LinkedIn but I will se if one of my daughters, who lives locally, can help me or you can contact me at kilchoandiary@btinternet.com - 'A Kilchoan Diary' is another of my blogs that covers the years of our life on Ardnamurchan, a peninsula in west Scotland. So, hope to get in touch and thank you so much of your kind words. Jon

      Delete
  5. I remember you you were my geography teacher during my time at Chalvedon 1977-1982 my form teacher was Mr Vincent and our classroom was next door. You should know that you were a good teacher and i enjoyed your lessons and for that i will always be grateful. Enjoy your retirement and thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Darren - Thank you for your kind words, very much appreciated. I have many happy memories of Chalvedon. Do hope that life has treated you well. Jon

      Delete
  6. I was a student from '74 to 80 (Including 1 year in sixth form)
    In the form class 'E' my tutors were as follows.
    1E - K. Heald (Also head of lower school)
    2E - Fred Prior
    3E - R. Farthing
    4/5E - A Taylor
    6th Form - Mrs Willmore

    Some notable teachers in my time
    D. Evans - Science
    P. Gubbins / Miss A Felton - German
    P. Neill / R. Gutteridge - Maths
    Les Norris - Metalwork / Technical Drawing
    Markham - Design & Technology
    A. Taylor - Physics
    P. Cronin - Head ?
    J. Lloyd - English
    D. Campos - Chemistry

    D. Campos & Miss Felton led a trip to Maes Y Lade, including potholing in the Brecon Beacons.

    Les Norris & Mr Markham set me up in Engineering, where 43 years later I'm just about to retire.


    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Jon,
    my 19 year old son found your blog and the 3P form photo last night after I’d mentioned my old school over Christmas! It is great to see some of the old faces. I think we were a challenging class but I remember you as being very calm and patient :-) I left at 16 to start an apprenticeship with Marconi Avionics and they sponsored me to go to University to get an Engineering Degree. I went on to work for the BBC and some US businesses and now have an engineering company that builds AI sites around Europe, so all worked out well. I still know some of the guys from school and most have done well…several having building firms or worked in the city. I was speaking to Barry C today and he has fond memories of you.
    If I think about life, maybe coming from working class families and having humble ambitions makes us happier and appreciate our achievements all the more?

    One last anecdote, I was at a BBQ a few years back at my next door neighbors and started talking to someone who was a head teacher at local school. She asked where I went to school in Basildon. In telling her Chalvedon School, she replied ‘ You’ve done well despite your education’!

    Thanks for the memories , best wishes for 2024!

    Richard C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard - Thrilled to hear from you, and to know that you've done so well in life. As I said in the blog post, I thoroughly enjoyed being with my form, and knew that many of you, despite anything that was 'wrong' with Chalvedon, would do really well - so, yes, I'm sure you're right, life didn't serve you success on a golden platter, you had to go out and work for it.
      I was very upset when I left Chalvedon, and particularly upset at leaving the form. The job I went on to was a good promotion. The school I went to was rubbish, the worst UK school I ever taught in!
      Thank you for writing so kindly; you've made the last day of 2023 very special. All good wishes to you and your family. Jon

      Delete