Sunday, November 11, 2018

Memory Pictures

I never thought about other people having what I call 'memory pictures' - that is, when "Random memories pop spontaneously into my mind" - yet this is the title of an article in New Scientist of 27th October 2018.

Apparently, "these involuntary recalls happen to all of us, on average about 20 times a day, although there is a lot of variation between individuals," with older people tending to experience more.

The vivid, almost explosive pictures which I see are infrequent, happening on average perhaps once a week at most, so is New Scientist describing something slightly different? My mind, as the title of this blog suggests, does ramble back over the past but these memories aren't sudden, not like the memory pictures.

New Scientist gives them a name, 'mind pops'.

No comments:

Post a Comment