Tuesday, November 13, 2018

The Dik-dik Skin

This tiny antelope, little more than a foot high at the shoulder, is a dik-dik. Dik-dik are common throughout eastern and southern Africa: I photographed this one in Namibia.

They're beautiful creatures, shy, self-effacing, a pleasure to watch - though too few tourists bother as they're more interested in 'big game'.

I feel a little ashamed therefore that one of the items in the little brown suitcase is a dik-dik skin. Like all the other things in the case, it has wandered the world with me. I remember buying it, in the little Indian Curio Shop in Mombasa, probably when I was on holiday from prep school in the mid-50s, though not why I was so keen to have it - unless I wanted to show it off to my fellow pupils when I returned to school in England.

I could, and perhaps should throw it away tomorrow but there's no point - and anyway, it's come so far with me it might as well accompany me on the rest of this journey. Someone else can dispose of it when I've moved on.

No comments:

Post a Comment