Sunday, December 16, 2018

Surviving at Chalvedon

Having failed to escape from Chalvedon in 1976 I started to understand how to teach in difficult circumstances. The students varied hugely, from some who were keen to work and came from supportive homes to others who hated school and, by default, all teachers. I developed techniques to control an unruly class; I learned how to ensure that the pens, pencils and other equipment we were obliged to lend came back (something, anything, worth more than the item, had to be given as a deposit); I developed improved teaching techniques, mostly through the use of very good resources; and I learned the importance of exuding confidence.

Gradually I came to like and respect the rougher kids. The photo shows my registration class, some of whom, like the crew-cut lad at the centre of the back row, were a challenge. I even took them ice-skating in London a couple of times, and they were great evenings out.

Survival also depended on the support of one's colleagues. When Mark, who was head of the geography and geology department when I arrived, left Chalvedon, I applied for and got the post. While others taught with us, the core team was Brian, second in department, left, Dave, centre, and Chris, kneeling. At the end of stressful days we went down the pub, drank too much, and arrived home late. At the end of each year we had a department dinner, which was when this picture was taken, either at a restaurant or, increasingly, at one of our homes - this one was at Fountain Lane.

We worked hard. As our confidence increased, we became more ambitious. We took the whole third year, all 200+ of them, to London for a cruise up and down the Thames. More and more of the students opted to take geography in fourth and fifth year. We took our fourth year geographers to Hastings for a three-night field trip staying in a Youth Hostel, while our 'O' and 'A' level geology students went on extended trips to places like Bridport and Shropshire.

When Katy joined Lizzie at primary school, Gill also taught at Chalvedon. We made many very good friends amongst the staff, many of whom worked extremely hard for these students. Some, like Derek (at right) and Fred (centre), gave their time to ensuring that young people who were often seriously deprived saw a different side of life. This picture was taken at a camp in Suffolk organised by Derek, where the young people went canoeing, tried their hand at archery, slept in freezing tents, and let their hair down at Great Yarmouth fun fair. It was so laid back that Lizzie, Katy and Gill came too - Gill is at the back, left.

I continued to be the school representative for my union, the NAS/UWT. Its membership steadily increased. We took industrial action to try to combat work overload by working a four-day week. It didn't make much difference, and teachers remained poorly paid.

I think I might have stayed at Chalvedon for years had not Gill, very gently, started to encourage me to apply for jobs elsewhere.

7 comments:

  1. Interesting stories, i left in Easter'79', couldn`t wait to leave to be honest , could you put the teachers second names, i recognise some faces though.
    Shane Blanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Middle photo - from left, Brian Vincent, Dave Smith, me; Chris Mantz kneeling. Jon

      Delete
    2. Chris Mantz was my form tutor in my first year at Chalvedon. My remaining years Brian Vincent was my form tutor. Both such wonderful people.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your comment, David. Chalvedon went through a bad time in the early 1970s. The year before I joined the staff the school was 5 teachers short and was sending pupils home in relays - which is one reason why the appointed me from Jamaica without an interview. If you read the posts that follow this one you will see that things got better - for a start, teacher's were given a massive pay rise which encouraged graduates to join the profession. The field trips to Dorset and Shropshire were introduced by me. And I did know, before I left Essex in 1996, that Chalvedon was hugely improved. Jon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was at chalvedon from 77 until end of Upper 6th year in 84. Fred Prior was definitely one of the favourite teachers amongst the students

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr Mantz was my form tutor in my first year at Chalvedon 1977. A great character i remember him fondly, he sadly passed away in 2019.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Darren - Many thanks for your comment. Yes, Chris Mantz was a character, a great friend. We exchanged Christmas cards throughout the time he was in Manilla but lost touch with him around 2019 and assumed it was because we had little chance of seeing each other again. We didn't know his wife so she would have had no reason to let us know he'd died. At the time we were moving around - down to England then back to Scotland. Oh dear.... The world's a much poorer place. Jon

      Delete