Friday, November 1, 2019

Old Photos

As well as old documents that come to light as one sorts one's things prior to moving house we're finding photographs - like this one which had obviously fallen out of an album and was sitting at the bottom of the old Arab chest.

It's obviously of a special occasion as the little girl is dressed in her best frock, but the occasion escapes me, as does the reason for her sitting with a loaded water pistol at her right hand.

The little scrap sitting at our dining table at Lodge Road in Maldon with a single candle in front of her was thirty yesterday.

This picture was in a small folder with 'Photographs' written on it which I found in the file with our passports. This picture was taken when I was teaching at Ludlow Grammar School and would have gone into the passport which took me to Jamaica in 1973. By this stage my hair was rather shorter than when I first joined the staff but I'm still wearing the large collars and bright kipper ties which were my trademark.

Gill's father had Polyphotos taken of his two daughters and, we think, his wife Bea when Gill was sixteen. The idea of the system was that several pictures were taken and presented on a sheet, rather like thumbnails on a computer, and the purchaser could then choose one or more to have 'blown up'.

This is a small picture, one of two that remain. The other is in a rather cheap frame which which I have kept for years by my bed. Gill still has the little pendant that's round her neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment