Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Ernest in the West Indies

This photograph from my father's family album has the caption "Undoubtedly father x at one of the West Indies islands." Ernest visited the West Indies both when he worked for Scruttons and, later, when he was with Harrisons.

The picture is immediately interesting to me that my grandfather enjoyed a swim as my father didn't like beaches and certainly didn't swim in all the time I knew him, though I do have one picture of him swimming in England as a young man- see earlier post here.

The x in the caption was meant to identify which of the three men was Ernest Haylett - I've marked it with an arrow - but, unfortunately, it's not at all clear which he is, though I suspect it was intended to indicate the man at bottom right.

Fortunately there is a second photo with, again, a small cross to indicate Ernest but, once again, it's not very helpful.

If it is the man at bottom right of the first picture then, judging by his hair colour, this is the earliest picture I have of my grandfather.

No comments:

Post a Comment