Monday, September 20, 2021

An African Menu

My good friend Tony Chetham has sent me another gem, a lunch menu from the Victoria Falls Hotel dated May 1948. The range of food available is astonishing, bearing in mind that this was shortly after the war when Britain was still suffering from rationing, so anyone from 'home' seeing the menu could have hardly believed their eyes.

The chef may have been able to source some of the delicacies by using the Imperial Airways flying boat service which, on its way to and from Johannesburg, landed at the falls.

The Solent BO103 and BO104 services stopped at Victoria Falls for the night, so passengers would have been able to enjoy the menu.

We once visited the hotel, with my parents when they came out to visit us at Bernard Mizeki College in 1969. We had lunch there but, such are the vagaries of my memory, I have no recollection of the meal. What I do recall is that my father flatly refused to come on the boat trip up the Zambezi which we had booked for the afternoon, preferring to spend it in the hotel bar. See earlier post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment