Saturday, September 4, 2021

Late August Fungi

The fungi shown in this post are a few of the many we saw on a walk on 27th August, and are from just two locations, Golspie Glen and the upper Dunrobin Woods.  This first was found in the glen, one of several which had been knocked over. I'm fairly certain it's honey fungus, Armillaria mellea, but not certain enough to tell Mrs MW to take it home and cook it for our evening meal.

It took me ages of searching on the internet to find this one, from Dunrobin Woods, and the final give-away came not from the net but from the stem. It's also honey fungus, but juveniles.

This looks rather the same but it has a very short stem and is a bit more 'prickly', so I think it's a dusky puffball, Lycoperdon nigrescens.

This was Mrs MW's prize find, in Dunrobin Woods. It was huge - the Swiss Army knife is for scale - teetered on an incredibly slim stem, and was absolutely perfect. I'm fairly certain it's the parasol mushroom, Macrolepiota procera.

This was an exciting find as it was the first of its kind for us. It's the prettily- and descriptively-named stinkhorn, Phallus impudicus.

This one seems to be flowing out of the trunk of a living tree and is about 9" across. I'm reasonably certain it's Daedaleopsis confragosa, blushing bracket.

I've written about this one before but include a picture of another in part because the specimens are so neat and perfect, in part because there's a mature one and a new one, and in part because it's probably very poisonous - it's either grey spotted amanita or - I think more likely - panthercap.

Then there were all the ones I haven't been able to identify, like this mass growing out of the side of a half-dead, moss-covered treetrunk, and....

....this goblet-shaped specimen with its gills on the outside, and....

....this one with a strange internal structure, and....

....this one which really should be easy to identify and may, just may be the charcoal burner, but.... I'm not sure.

Walking through the woods at the moment is almost intimidating. I'm afraid of finding yet more which, after an hour's searching, I still can't identify. It doesn't really make any difference, they're just as beautiful without their names - though some of them are fun - yet I'm driven to find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment