Thursday, October 27, 2022

A Pink-Footed Goose

The mouth of the Golspie Burn is a gathering place for birds: gulls, crows, redshanks, curlews, cormorants, the recently-arrived flock of rock doves, and a group of mallard which is attracted by the villagers who come with packets of bread, but today there was a newcomer, a....

....lone pink-footed goose. Concerned, I walked along the beach towards it but, as....

....I approached, all it could do was to turn and look at me, as if to say, "Look, please don't bother me, I'm feeling absolutely rotten and the last thing I need is.... you."

It was still there an hour later. It had managed to move up the beach to avoid the rising tide, and it had been joined by a small flock of sympathetic redshanks.

High above, a thousand of its kind were flying north, calling. I hope it recovers, I hope it's able to join its kin high in the freedom of the sky, but I'm pessimistic. I only pray that this is not the start of a bird flu outbreak amongst these huge flocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment