Monday, October 24, 2022

Fungi at Littleferry

Our recent visit to the woodland around Loch Fleet produced a cornucopia of fungi, most of them old friends but with one very welcome new discovery. The finds included....

....the aptly named orange peel fungus which is usually rather more orange than this and....

....this one which is jelly-like but also has teeth on the pale underside of its cap. It looks interesting but, frustratingly, I have failed to identify it.

'Old friends' include this hintapink brittlegill, a glorious splash of colour on a grey day and an easily remembered name. I'm always concerned about my identifications. This one looks quite like the sickener which is not good to eat - one website says, reassuringly, "it only makes you vomit" - but the sickener only occurs in beech woodland and this was in a conifer plantation.

This is another old friend but the first time we've found it at Littleferry. I'm fairly sure it's woolly milkcap: lovely gentle shades of colour and texture, and matchingly warm name.

I think this is a wood blewit, my main hesitation being that it was growing a long way from the nearest woodland, right out on the links, but it looked very happy and healthy there.

This is the sort of fungus that makes my day as it's a new one, an exciting find as it's such a pretty fungus and is described on one website as "Quite rare and certainly a special find." It's flaming scalycap and I'm 90% sure the identification is right, which makes a nice change!

No comments:

Post a Comment