Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Smart Chaffinches

The male chaffinches are looking exceptionally smart at the moment whether they're living in the country, as this one is, or whether they're....

....an urban bird - this one is pictured in the rowan tree in our garden which is currently being stripped of its berries by incomer blackbirds. I worry a bit that the chaffinches have got their seasons wrong, that they think they're heading into spring rather than into winter.

There are several male chaffinches visiting us with, it seems, rather fewer females, but both have been early to find....

....the new feeder which is just in front of the kitchen sink, placed so I can watch them while I wash the dishes. I just wish these chaffinches were as mentally smart as they are coutured as they would then clean the window of the mess they make - I did clean it just a few days ago - so I could take some focused close-up portraits of them in all their finery.

No comments:

Post a Comment