Tuesday, December 20, 2022

I Wish....

There are many experiences in my life I would love to reprise. One of them is the sort of African safari we were fortunate enough to be able to afford where we were driven around a national park in a Land Rover or Land Cruiser looking for beauties like this, a Tanzanian giraffe with its gloriously intricate markings, or....

....something a bit more spectacular like this small herd of elephant which, when one looked closely, were rather depressing because the big tuskers were conspicuously missing.

It's always good to see the big game, like these Cape buffalo - though I feel most fortunate to have seen leopard in the wild - but it's every bit as exciting to see more modest animals, like....

....this water buck, from a hide. The animal was little more than ten metres away, and knew I was there and watching him, but allowed it. Breathtaking!

Then there is the safari I loved the most....

....where we walked through the bush with lovely people like these to care for us. The man on the left was our personal guide from the camp, the one on the right a ranger from the park. I have no idea what the latter would have done with that Kalashnikov had we been charged by an angry buffalo as hitting it would not have stopped its charge but would have made it even more angry.

I will never go on another safari. I accept that. I'm just so pleased that I have seen Africa's spectacular animals in the wild, before they are all enclosed in fencing to separate and protect their dwindling populations from the depredations of humankind.

No comments:

Post a Comment