Friday, October 23, 2020

Lining Up at Littleferry

The fungi at Littleferry are far more organised than the random scatterings we found in Balblair Woods yesterday. This fungus line weaved its way for over ten metres along the top of an ancient pebble storm beach while....

....this species preferred a shorter but more compact arrangement. They look much the same but the upper one has white flesh and gills while....

....the underside of the lower comes in a very pretty lilac shade.

This fungus 'colony' was growing in a neat circle while....

....this one had a more advanced 'figure of eight' arrangement.

The low tide sandbanks were also in neat alignments, each with its species of bird - here an exclusive cormorant group, while on the other side of Loch Fleet's entrance....

....eiders roosted on the further bank and knots in a crowd on the nearer.

I continue to identify them as knots but I'm really knot sure. I watched a BTO video which set out to describe the simple differences between knots and dunlins but I came away from it more confused than ever. The easiest way of telling them apart seems to be that knots have brownish-green legs while dunlin have black, but I'm not sure I can distinguish the colour on my distant photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment