Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Fungal Explosion

The mown verges and overgrown banks of the single-track roads through the crofting township of Backies are exploding with fungal activity, be it visible in the form of single individual fruiting bodies or...

....colonies of them. The huge majority I don't immediately recognise, though....

....this one, which I think is a chanterelle, might be an exception.

I have often spent an hour or so after a walk trying to identify the fungi I've photographed, often without success, so I'm not in the future going to spend too much time on this. Even if I do think I've identified a fungus, I'm never sure, so the process seems in a way pointless - and frustrating, because I would really like to know for certain!

Of yesterday's Backies collection....

....the only one I think I may have identified is the one in the top picture which may, just may be a false saffron milkcap - but probably isn't.

In future I want to enjoy them for their beauty even if some look more like overgrown beetles or the crusty top of a slightly burnt roll. All of them....

....have their place under the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment