Sunday, August 20, 2023

Those Leather Boots

I have to accept as I grow older that there are some things I am unlikely ever to do again. So, while we still walk miles each day and do venture off the beaten track, we no longer take on a trek across very broken, steep or boggy ground. So it is with great sadness that my leather walking boots are redundant and on their way to the local charity shop, having been replaced by much lighter-weight boots.

In the years of walking on Ardnamurchan we found that nothing beat leather for keeping the water out, though we did try several man-made combinations of material.

One of many very happy memories is of parking up at the side of one of one of the peninsula's single-track roads, pulling on these boots, and setting off into the wonderful, open countryside of the Scottish Highlands. We often walked all day without seeing another soul, and these walks took us to....

....some spectacular places. This picture was taken from the summit of Creag an Airgid looking north towards Eigg, Rum and the Cuillins of Skye.

So, farewell to those adventures: I'm just so pleased to be able to hold close their memories.

2 comments:

  1. I recognized that view before reading the text. We spent an hour up there on that glacially rounded summit enjoying the view of the exhumed volcanic topography and that northern vista. It was those boots that guided us to Glendrian; a walk I fondly remember. Maybe, before you bag them up to be relocated, you will listen to see if they are inviting you to another visit westwards?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They probably are calling me to another adventure but I doubt I'll be going - one has to be realistic. I just hope that whoever buys them takes them back into the hills.

      Delete